Feb 1, 2007

Rape; An Opinion

I want your opinion. Read...


TAMPA, Florida (Reuters) - A woman who told police she had been raped was taken to jail because of an outstanding warrant and denied use of a morning-after pill to prevent a potential pregnancy, the woman's lawyer said on Tuesday.


The 21-year-old woman told police she was grabbed by a man and raped on Saturday afternoon after she left a parade.

After police officers took the woman, whose name was not disclosed, to a health clinic they found she was named in a warrant from a juvenile arrest in 2003 in nearby Sarasota, police said.

The woman was put in handcuffs and taken to jail. She was released on Monday afternoon.

The woman's attorney told reporters that while she was in jail she was prevented from taking an emergency contraceptive, the so-called morning after pill.

Tampa Police Chief Steve Hogue said in a statement that he was revising the department's arrest policies to give supervisors more discretion in similar situations.

"When I learned that the victim of a sexual battery was arrested on an outstanding warrant, I was very concerned that our policy did not allow a greater degree of discretionary latitude," Hogue said.

No arrest has been made for the rape but Hogue said the investigation was continuing.

The woman's mother told The Tampa Tribune newspaper her daughter was outraged by the treatment she received at the hands of local police.

"You've got to make sure you throw somebody in jail on a 4-year-old felony warrant after they've been brutally raped?" the mother asked.

"It was a failure to take the actual dynamics into play," she said.

~~~

Commentary

OK, I can understand they took her to jail. My ol' friend, Karma can be a little unfair at times. But she had a felony, repeat, felony warrant. I do however, think that she should never have been denied the "Morning After Pill." That is the juncture, where they went from a lack of understanding or compassion, to full tilt brutality. I mean the law is the law. It is for you, me, every body. We must abide by these rules/laws or we pay a consequence. I am more than familiar with this premise. I do hope, that after this incident, they have some sort of ruling and consider a more humane way of handling things. I imagine this scenario does not happen often. But in a sense of fairness, I can understand the officers taking her in to custody. After all, if they'd let he walk, it would have been a miscarriage of justice, right? Maybe, she has a victim, from the crime she committed? But I do believe they could have handled this differently, right? Especially, not providing her with the morning after pill. Now, I imagine that they do not have access to or provisions for this type of situation, at the jail. But was she not at a hospital, where they do have the pill?
Really, how often does this happen? But it could and it did and it's a shit sandwich, she had to much, for sure.
As I read this, I felt for her and can only imagine, not only being raped but then sent to jail. I think she had a really bad, bad day. If there's such a thing as the shittiest day ever, she had it. I don't know what her crime was? Should that play in to this scenario? Should there be concessions or a weight concerning how you are treated? Now, that question probably does not make sense but if you just weighed it out, you know, "should people be treated differently?", depending on the severity of their crime, you are human. But as a Law Enforcement Officer, you are supposed to remain impartial. As a C.O., in a Prison setting, you are to remain impartial, right? But it is also just like telling the jury, after they've just heard an extremely incriminating statement, to "Disregard the Statement, " it really can't be done. You can tell me, that I am wrong but I have seen the "Human Factor" in action. You really can't have Law Enforcement, weighing in the severity of a crime and playing judge and jury, so I think the Officers had to do their job. I feel bad for this rape victim, been there, done that. I feel even worse that she was unable to receive the morning after pill. I hope we may learn from this awful situation. It could, can and very well may happen again. I hope they'll institute, in their crime codes, a provision to deal with such a situation in the future.

How do you feel about this? What is your opinion?

20 comments:

Webmiztris said...

I can't believe they denied her the morning-after pill. It doesn't even make sense. Authorities should be all for preventing pregnancy in hooligans who unlikely to raise the child in a safe environment anyway.

Babsbitchin said...

Webmiztris, I agree. It is nearly sinful, more than wrong. I would have thought their medical staff, would have to do something, ya know? But I imagine the bureaucracy and red tape would've held it up. That's why I think we should live and learn from this one. Thanks for weighing in!

Old Knudsen said...

she should have been given the pill, I'm thinking she should have been held in a secure hospital room instead, I'm thinking of a guy that breaks his leg while robbing a house, not the same as rape but you aren't going to let him go after he gets his cast. the police have to be impartial but they also should have common sense which was lacking here, its America so expect a big lawsuit and she'll be let off with the other crime because of the publicity. Justice isn't blind, shes dumb and I don't mean mute.

JerseyTjej said...

After a rape, she's got larger issues to contend with ( aka: STD's, AIDS/ HIV exposure). No, i would not want to be knocked up by the scum either, but you kind of forfeit you right to certain things when you decide to err on the wrong side of the law... Thanks for taking this on.

Jagd Kunst said...

My opinion is the same as it always has been: Don't deal with the pigs.
They're all rapists anyway, besides being ignorant uncharming and immorally upstanding. I'm sure somewhere around the world there must be a nice county sheriff type, but we're all such crims 'round these parts that we have to get bobbies imported from England 'cos nobody wants the job.

Babsbitchin said...

Old Knudsen, you know, honestly, I'd not thought of it like that. But you are so right. It becomes another reaction, a wrong reaction to how rape victims are treated. A very sad state of affairs.

Babsbitchin said...

Jerseytjej, This is true. So much to go through and then on top of it, to be arrested and so on. But I do imagine, she knew she had these charges and chose to elude them. It's a terrible situation. This is why I questioned it all. I mean, I know how I feel but I wondered how others would react, ya know. How's the babies? Have they caused you to pull out all your hair yet? I know you've got your hands, more than full, lol!

Babsbitchin said...

Jagd Kunst, I have to say, it's not easy to find a cop, who's not been tainted in some way. They bend and stretch the law to their liking and I have a huge dislike for that kinda shit. Imported bobbies, imagine that? Bunch of roughnecks in your parts, eh?

Jagd Kunst said...

Nah, fucken English are all a bunch of pussies. If I end up there, it'll be by accident you can rest assured.

There's an island 2hours north of here that the law was only introduced to in the 60's. I wanna check it out. It has no cops. I'm gunning fer the title of Crime Kingpin.

starlet said...

no matter what she did I'm pretty sure she didn't rape anyone. Since rape is the worst crime I can think of besides murder whatever she did couldn't have been as bad as what she was subjected to. Therefore they could have laid off the poor girl for ONE DAY to get her stuff taken care of.

Greg said...

They definitely should have given her medical attention of any kind she requested -- no matter if they took her into custody or not.

.Ophelia. said...

yea, I believe it takes all but five minutes to take the morning after pill. And exams arent that time consuming either. Though Im not sure about rape exams...anyhow, they should have the courtesy to let her have medical attention before hauling her off.
weird.

Babsbitchin said...

Jagd Kunst, I love adventures. Now, when you've established yourself, as the Kingpin, send for me. I will run your terror squad. I'm excited now. You must let me know, how this goes, ok?

Babsbitchin said...

Starlet, you're right. Sad to say, many people don't understand what it is to be raped. It is so much more than just the physical attack. When I was a teen and was raped, you just didn't report it as you knew you'd be ridiculed for it as if you brougt it on. "What were you wearing? Walking after dark, hitchhiking, you were asking for it" I'm not so sure, we've come all that way from then, ya know?

Babsbitchin said...

Greg, I agree with you too. She could've been shackled to the bed, observed and given the pill. This is so outrageous, isn't it sweety?

Babsbitchin said...

Ophelia, it is too weird and I don't understand it. For that rape though, through that pain, our girl's gonna get paid. They fucked up, if you asked me.

Snooze said...

I agree with Old Knudsen. What would have been the problem with following her to the hospital and ensuring she had decent treatment? They screwed up big time.

Mind you, many people are arrested and don't have access to their HIV meds for a week, which compromises their future treatment options (due to resistance developing). I think there needs to be more done for initial health care awareness with prisoners.

brotherray said...

oh man...this is the kind of stuff that can get me riled. She wound up in custody, and .. well shit, if you know what going into custody can do to you, you know once you're in it, they don't give a flyin rats ass about you or your access to health care or your meds that are keeping you alive or how you're treated. And what that warden was quoted as saying (something about "I was concerned when I knew this young woman blah blah blah"). Yeah right (like what else is he going to say to a reporter?) He had that one down pat before they ever came to knocking on his door to question him. Oh I can get carried away with myself on this shit - memories of working for the prison. No - worse than working for em - blowing the whistle on their asses and winding up in a heap of shit over it, up to my eyeballs in litigation for years. You watch - if that poor gal ever files suit, it'll be the big boys who'll prevail, and they'll be revamping all their policies now and then after they prevail to include provisions for the "things" that surrounded this gal's circumstances they supposedly had NO POLICY ON for her. MFr's in City Hall.

Babsbitchin said...

Snooze,I couldn't agree mor. It's similar w/ addiction. Often, you've done something that merits incarceration, as I did. But I layed on the floor of the county jail, kicking a 5 bag a day, dope habit. They put me on the floor , only after the seizure. Then, all they did was put me on blood pressure medication.I have only myself to blame but there could be more humane way, right? This woman could have been treated better and you can only hope that Karma pays a visit. She teaches compassion on a higher learning curve!

Babsbitchin said...

brotherray, I know and you know that the rape, it's self was probably just as bad as the treatment she'll endure. The only happy ending in this tragedy would be if she sues the fuck outa them. This kinda shit gets my ass hairs up too. I do realize that the officers do not have the discretion to make the call to let her go but they sure as fuck should have had it to allow the hospital to treat her. Another job for...
Mz.Karma Bitchslap!