Feb 25, 2007

Smoke, Smoke, Smoke That Cigarette

Back in the day, you could smoke any where. They had ashtrays on the back of the pew/bench in the courthouse. It was nothing to light up in the grocery store, on the bus, at the movies, just about any where. We were a people that smoked. We were trying, I think to be sophisticated, just as it was depicted in the movies. Every other commercial on T.V. was either a soap powder commercial or it was for cigarettes. The most enjoyable part of going out to eat, was that after dinner cigarette with maybe, a strong cup o'joe. You had cigarette machines in all the restaurants, movie theaters, bars and even on the streets in a vending machine.Even Prison was no fun as we couldn't sit inside and smoke. Now, what kinda shit is that? I mean, now, they don't even offer you a last cigarette when they execute you as on most death row facilities don't allow smoking.
Then, some dumbass scientist discovered Cancer and second hand smoke and ruined all the fun. Damn!

I guess, I can't tell my joke any more, either? When you saw someone with a Camel cigarette pack, you showed them the front of the pack and asked; If you were stranded in the desert, where would you sleep? Would you sleep next to the camel or under the palm tree or next to the pyramid or what? They'd usually debate it for a minute and often say, "Oh, I think I'd sleep under the tree!"

Then, you turn the pack over and tell them, "Go ahead, I'm going around the corner to the Hotel. See ya!"

I started smoking when I was 11 and smoked my Grandma's Camel unfiltered. Then, you were only cool, if you smoked Marlboro red. I'm still smoking but Marlboro Menthol and I have a love hate relationship with them. I'd love to quit but I sure do love my smoke.




15 comments:

Clockworkchris said...

Babs, this page is much different than the other one was. Wow, I didn't know you used those terrible words in the sidebar that keep moving so much *I am laughing so hard*. Sorry I have been a Beotch but I got my head on straight now. I will try to visit more.

Babsbitchin said...

clockworkchris, hey sweety, it's really good to hear from you. I have been runnin' scared and crazy myself and I still don't have my fat head on right. Please don't be a stranger, ok?
Big Hugz!

.Ophelia. said...

Its bad enough I smoke weed everyday. Multiple times if its a good bag ;o)

I remember the days of vending machines in restaurants. I lived in a house of chain smokers. I just never found smoking interesting. I once took a drag off a cig because my girlfriend dared me too, and I wouldnt have ot pay her the five bucks I owed...It tasted like tacks. uMm I dont know what that really means, but yea. haha

My bloggy is Two years old today. Go check it out because you love me :o)

Butch@CCD said...

Ah Babs you're telling your age here. I smoked as a teen too. I stole my Dads Lucky Strike. He didn't catch me for a long time but when he did, I got the strap.

Butch@CCD said...

ps I stole some of your links for my page. Hope you dont mind to awfully much.

Reluctant Nomad said...

I smoke like a chimney now. But, rather stupidly, I took up the habit at 38 having resisted it for so many years until then.

Webmiztris said...

i loved that Flintstones ad! In can honestly say I never saw that one. everything was so laid back back then! now if I cat bops a mouse on the head in a cartoon, society blames that for kids acting violent. it's fucking ridiculous.

Butchieboy said...

Ah, the good old days.

~Babsbitchin~ said...

Ophelia, Happy Anniversary, my Darling!
I used to smoke constantly (weed)when I smoked years, upon years ago. Nothing like getting stoned and writing or listening to music. I used to smoke when I got up, at school, when I came home and after dinner. I always had some good weed and would sit out on the roof cause it was so stinky. I loved me some hash too. But then I'd crawl back in and put on my headphones and zone on Pink Floyd or something. Of course, w/my blacklight on. I had painted everything fluorescent, even my phone. Damn I miss those days but last time I smoked, I got so noided out.

~Babsbitchin~ said...

butch@ccd, I wen to High School with God, that's how old I ma. Just can't hide it anymore, lol!

~Babsbitchin~ said...

butch, ps, steal away. I thought I heard somebody creeping!

~Babsbitchin~ said...

Nomad, That is a bit insane but it's better than starting young, as I did and now it's ingrained in my psyche, ya know. I can't answer the phone w/o a cig in my hand, ya know?
Kisses Sweets!

~Babsbitchin~ said...

Webmiztris, things have changed for the worse, in many things. People are such a contradiction, it's sinful. They'll allow their kids to play violent video games but they can't watch any violence in cartoons. Back in the day, the cartoons were violent but we had enough sense to know they were just that; fuckin cartoons. It didn't give us the idea to lop off the cats head because we saw it on Tom & Jerry, ya know. We have become a nation of redonkulous fucktards!
hahahaha!!

~Babsbitchin~ said...

Butchieboy, it really was. I actually quit going to the movies for a long time, in protest of not being able to smoke. I actually loved being in the hospital, until you couldn't smoke. I mean you got spoiled, ate, layed and watched t.v. and smoked. Then, they had to go and fucking complain about their lungs. What about those car fumes they're sucking down? They don't complain about that, huh? hahaha!!

Rob K said...

There used to be a cartoon called Eighth Man, about this super robot and whenever he ran low on power, he recharged with this powerpack disguised as a cigarette. Now I guess a robot can't even grab a smoke