Apr 15, 2007

Imus Controversy; An Open Letter

I went over to one of my favorite blogs, Ultrablog and I read her post about Imus, called, Freedom of Speech and Shit.(second Post down) I am full of piss n vinegar today...just a warning. My ass hairs are up and I'm gonna tell you all about it. I'd read a bit but investigated further, this whole Imus controversy. Now, I'm real pissed!

I've been called a racist before and I'm ok, I survived it. I think that you might want to lump us all in that dirty little heap. Some people are racists, I've seen more than my share. I am not a racist but you would like to call me that when I speak the truth. The rest of you can sit there, in fear of that truth or of speaking it. I am not, nor will I ever be afraid to voice my opinion. If that means you call me, a racist, so be it. But now, I'll have another name or two for you; Liar is the first. I'll call you on the carpet but not before you've done the dirt first and you did.

We are all entitled to our opinions and I have mine. It is an educated and experienced one. I've lived in the ghetto, actually, several of them, been locked up, been around the block. I have observed people, it is a life study. I know the nature of man and am able to see the good and bad, equally.

People want
their truth sugar coated, don't they? You won't get that here, so just go away, fuck off and don't try to make me swallow your stuff shirt, wheat bread, vegetarian bullshit. But I ain't gonna have you shove chitterlings down my throat, either. They stink when you cook 'em and they are just gross tasting. Get over it.

I am not an Imus fan. When I was listening to morning radio, first it was Greaseman, then Howard Stern but I just didn't care for Imus. He has done a lot of good though and Huffington's Toast, writes about here. Nope, it doesn't excuse what was said, does it?

So, in a comedy skit, Imus says or makes a statement about the Rutger's Women's Basketball Team. He called them, "Nappy Headed Ho's." Not very nice, so it seems, not too appropriate and a bit harsh, if taken out of context. If I read those words, standing alone on a page, from some white guy and not told the rest of the story, I might question it. When I first heard the story, it had been presented as just that, like he pulled that statement out of his ass.

But I changed my mind when I saw the whole sequence on the news. Imus didn’t utter those, seemingly poisonous words in a tone of racist, misogynist, contempt, but with something that sounded like admiration. I think it was being complimentary, a fatal attempt at perpetual, "Me and the Blacks are tight, when he said “That's some rough girls from Rutgers,” he told producer Bernard McGuirk, “Man, they got tattoos ...” It was McGuirk who first spit the ho theme, saying, “'Some hardcore ho’s.”

Not to be out-done in the tact/tastelessness department, Imus then muttered appreciatively, 'That's some nappy-headed ho’s there, I'm going to tell you that.” In the same way, an African-American might compliment a male athlete, a brother/sister from the hood, of his own race as “one bad-ass nigga,” or something like that. The Rutgers women were “rough” – which is good in an athlete, right? – inspiring McGuirk and Imus to flex their testosterone glands and act even tougher, and the only way they could think to do that was by adopting the argot of hip-hop. It was like watching a couple of suburban white boys slouching around in full ghetto get-up: Trying hard to be fly, cool, down with Dirty D., Whiggers of the nation unite?

They called him on the carpet over it. He apologized. But that wasn't good enough. No, the Lynch Mob came after him and Al Sharpton and his cronies wanted retribution for past lynchings, they wanted a pound of flesh. They wrote bullshit like this, defining "nappy hair," trying to make us see just how appalling it was, to even think about saying such a thing. He went on MSNBC and was ripped a new asshole or so they tried by Matt Lauer on this show. He pointed out that he is not racist and concedes that the two week suspension was appropriate. But the Black Community wants blood. So he goes on the show with Al Sharpton who I think is a bigot and racist, if anybody is. He's militant and a bad example of good, hard working, humble Black People. You watch him and you come away with a bad taste in your mouth. Which by the way, let me point out, I was raised by, hard working black people, who didn't use the color of their skin as a race card. So, let me point out the difference here; you have bad white people you have bad black people, you have bad in all races. If you choose to clump them together with the thought that they are all bad, that is when you are clearly a racist. Or so it seems. I can look at certain people and see they are trash by the way they behave, not by the color of their skin. Whites have Rednecks, right? How come nobody says a damn thing, when Dave Chapelle or somebody does a parody about rednecks or something similar, which gives the visual image of white trash? Why, because we don't choose to take offense, hell we'll even host a whole show on it, ourselves. Jeff Foxworthy and his cohorts make a mint, pointing out white trash ways and we choose to laugh, don't we. Choices?
If you choose to be offended, it only shows me your soft underbelly, where to hit you, right where it hurts. Take note Black community.
Black So
ciety now, has the same opportunity, same schools, same everything as I do and as my children did and do. What you choose to do with it, is entirely up to you. But if you continue to take offense and object at every turn, eventually nobody is going to take you seriously. You will become the bug of society, shooed away. Civil rights issues are a dead horse, you rightfully won. Now stop.
You went from being colored folk to Blacks to African American back to people of color. You look to take offense, don't you? Why is it when you call me whitey, I don't get offended? Why, because it is me and the name does not define me. Did you realize when you call me cracker, that the reference goes way back to civil war, slave owners and what they did? The master was called Cracker because he cracked the whip. Why do you want to give me that power over you? Did you realize this? Stop it.
I had nothing to do with slavery nor did my children. Stop it. Man has been enslaved since the dawn of time. The Jews built the Pyramids for the Egyptians with their own blood, sweat and tears, did they not? You do not see them walking around looking for payment for this labor. Stop it.
Don Im
us was kidding and you chose to take offense and you wanted his head on the chopping block. Oh, he's just another fine example of Whitey and his racist bullshit, trying to hurt the black man, keep him down. But let me point out something; Why is it alright for you to refer to your own race as "Nigga, Ho's, Bitches...

50 Cent
50 Verse 1-
2 niggas in the front, 2 niggas in the back
thats 4 niggas ridin' strapped in grandpa's Cadillac
the voice in my head say fuck all these niggas
then i start thinkin', i should rob all these niggas
man my homies then wan' do whateva i wan' do
i say i wan' eat they say shit we wan' eat to
lets ride around find a nigga stuntin' on first street
with the shine's on niggaz be lookin' like lunch meat
i run up on a nigga, pop one on the floor
tell um come up off that shit 'fore we start poppin' some more
fuck a ski mask, man niggaz know who i is
i got a full clip and niggaz know i get biz

I'm up early in the mornin', tryna make a move
come in here with me shorty take your lil' on the school
even though she cause the drama, you love your baby momma
i hit her with the llama to get this cake
Give us the coke, the cash, the combo and the safe
but she don't know it, damn, ok we�ll wait
i play with your kid on the couch, while your bitch on the phone
put a gun to her head sayin' daddy come home
you was rollin' poppin' bubbly, didn't think it get ugly
in the hood shit is lovely until it go bad .stlyrics
now you can pray for a miracle and God might be hearin' you
when i'm not in the jam, i write in my hand

Jay Z
If your havin girl problems i feel bad for you son
I got 99 problems but a bitch ain't one

[Verse One]
I got the rap patrol on the gat patrol
Foes that wanna make sure my casket's closed
Rap critics that say he's "Money Cash Hoes"
I'm from the hood stupid what type of facts are those
If you grew up with O's and you zap the toes
You'd celebrate the minute you was havin doe
I'm like fuck critics you can kiss my whole asshole
If you don't like my lyrics you can press fast forward
Got beef with radio if i don't play they show
They don't play my hits well i don't give a shit SO
Rap mags try and use my black ass
So advertisers can give em more cash for ads...fuckers
I don't know what you take me as
or understand the intellegence that Jay-Z has
I'm from rags to ritches nigga i ain't dumb
I got 99 problems but a bitch ain't one
Hit me


I could give you example after example but the important point here is, that you have double standards and you CHOOSE to take offense when and if it's convenient. Stop it.
Get that shit off my Radio, T.V., Movies and the like, if you don't want to be seen in that light. If it's so fucking offensive, don't let me hear it roll off your own tongue. I'm calling you a liar. I'm calling you a whiner. Now, save the drama for yo mama.

An apology should be sufficient but you obviously want blood. You obviously want to instill fear.
You want politically correct, start with yourselves. You took the comment out of context, just as you did, when Jimmy the Greek made a truthful statement concerning the actual historical element of black history. Unsavory but truthful, you wanted blood then and ruined a man's career. He spoke the truth and if you know your own history, you would know this. If it were me, I would have taken it as a compliment, that you're the best, just as he intended it. Choices.

Cut the bullshit! I hear comments about Indians, which I am, all the time but Ido not choose to take offense. Aren't you sick of looking in the mirror and crying victim, yet? Rise above it. Or you can continue to pretend you are so hurt. You can continue to play your own race card and not look at the truth. If you ask me, you are only bringing yourselves down. Make the choice to stop it right now.



A Little Twisting in the History...

Chicago Cubs Manager Dusty Baker has made some controversial remarks.

Chicago Cubs Manager Dusty Baker has made some controversial remarks that remind people of comments made by discredited public figures such as Leonard Jeffries and Jimmy "The Greek" Snyder.

Dusty, however, is not backing down.

Cubs fans always have hated the idea of night games at Wrigley Field (something The Tribune Company and Major League Baseball have insisted on jamming down Cubbies' throats). One argument for bringing more night games to Wrigleyville -- the maximum number of night games allowed by the city at the present time is 18 -- is that playing under the summer heat wears out the players and ends up hurting the Cubs' chances in the long run.

On Saturday, July 5, 2003, Dusty made his opinion on the "day vs. night" controversy publicly known:

"Personally, I like to play in the heat," Dusty said.

"Most Latin people and minority people do. You don't find too many brothers from New Hampshire or Maine, right? We were brought over here because we could work in the heat. Isn't that history? Your skin color is more conducive to heat than it is to the lighter-skinned people. I don't see brothers running around burnt. That's a fact. I'm not making this up. I'm not seeing some brothers walking around with some white stuff on their ears and noses.''

Despite all the criticism leveled against him, Dusty so far has refused to retract his comments. "I'm not playing the race card," he was quoted as saying on Monday, July 7, 2003. "I'm telling it like it is." Dusty also said he won't be talking about the subject again. "I'm not elaborating on it any more. End of topic. I said what I mean."

The outcry over Dusty's remarks is due in part to the fact that they remind people of comments made in times past by people such as Leonard Jeffries and Jimmy "The Greek" Snyder.

Leonard Jeffries:

Back in the 1970s, Leonard Jeffries, a college professor, became famous (or notorious, according to your point of view), for coming up with a theory that classified whites as "ice people" and blacks as "sun people." According to Jeffries, the ice had made whites cold, aggressive, and individualistic; while the sun had made blacks warm, peace-loving, and communal. A lot of people (especially right-wing radio commentators), have accused Dusty of trying to revive Jeffries' racist theories and have called for his ouster as Cubs' manager.

Jimmy "The Greek" Snyder:

Back in the 1980s, Jimmy "The Greek" Snyder was a very popular figure in the world of American sports. A betting guy, he was said to be great at predicting winners and was used as a color commentator at CBS. In 1988 (on Martin Luther King's birthday, of all days), Snyder made the following comment while trying to explain why (according to him), blacks were physically superior to whites:

"During the slave period, the slave owner would breed his big black with his big woman so that he would have a big black kid. That's where it all started."

Jimmy The Greek never understood why he was fired by CBS and criticized by his friends. "He felt he was falsely accused," his brother John Synodinos once said. "He was praising the blacks actually."

1.1M QuickTime Movie - 23 sec.

Maybe Dusty understands things better. "As a black manager, I can say things about blacks that a white manager can't say, and whites can say things about whites that blacks can't say."


6 comments:

Webmiztris said...

I do think they're blowing this whole ordeal out of proportion because, you're right - if a black rapper said it it would have been perfectly acceptable...and furthermore it would be played on the radio 20 times a day.

Paula said...

I doubt this will ruin Imus' career. He can go private and make more money like Howard Stern has. Sure, there's a lot of hypocrisy going on here, but I think it's a good start Imus got thrown off the air. What's funny is that a lot of people are complaining that Sharpton has said antisemtic stuff--well, so has Imus, for years! Good riddance.

brotherray said...

Girl, you sure said that damn good! SO damn good. I am sick and fed up to my eyeballs with the whole "let's stop the racial slurs" bullshit I could scream in their faces and smack a nappy headed ho & bro and their nephews and and nieces and mammies up one side of their nappy head down the other. I'm plain damn sick of it and don't give a SHIT who cares what I am and am getting prouder every day to show it -- SICK of it. I saw exactly the same thing from Imus' statement as you did. To me, his words and the way he said them was an attempt by him to congratulate super-charged, very athletic WOMEN and - because they ARE super athletes - gutsy, rough and tough women. Yeah right - nice goin, Negros, or ... African Americans... or...(what the hell am I supposed to call em?) My sistahs? (Ain't ever happening in this lifetime.)

~Babsbitchin~ said...

webmiztris, I think we need a new word for this behavior. It's not reverse discrimination but likened to it. I've seen it since I was a kid and I'm just tired of it. We take jabs and comments with a good face, why can't they?

~Babsbitchin~ said...

Paula, I think you are right and Imus will go on. It's the price of talk radio. But it's the principle of the whole thing. I don't like Imus, not one bit but fair is fair and they are and did take it out of context. It's sickening.

~Babsbitchin~ said...

brotherray, you and I have seen the best and the worst. The worst is real bad, deplorable and might make the average person a racist. But I bite my tongue till I can't and although I know that I can't change things alone, I want the world to know that I am willing to make a point and go the distance. Of course, I'll now be called a racist which I could really give two shitz in hell about. I call it truth and a spade a spade.