Sep 6, 2007

Frankenstein/Edgar Winter Group


This is some old school junk but damn you got your money's worth outa Edgar Winter. With his love for jazz, he incorporated that feel in a funky way with Frankenstein.

The song, which was released in 1973 by the Edgar Winter Group, went to No. 1 and made Winter the first artist to use a synthesizer as the main instrument in a song. Winter also had invented the keyboard body strap to turn a synthesizer into more of a dynamic lead instrument during live performances.

The combination of these two innovations changed the way rock was played live and in the studio and helped convince other acts that classic rock songs could be experimented with sonically and instrumentally.

"I was really frustrated being stuck behind a bank of keyboards, having played piano and organ," Winter recalled. "And I said, 'Hey, why do these guitar players get to have all the fun? I want to get out there and boogie.'

"So when I saw the synthesizer in the music store, I said, 'Wow, this thing is pretty lightweight. ... And I said, 'Well, this is a remote keyboard. It looks like you could just put a strap on this thing and pick it up and play it,' which is exactly what I proceeded to do. And, as they say, the rest is history!"





I wish I had a nickel for every time I got stoned to this and said, "Man, I love that drum comp."

Both Edgar and his brother, Johnny Winter, are Albinistic

2 comments:

mlankton said...

Early Edgar Winter is very reminiscent of Deep Purple. Trivia: which fairly famous 70's guitar hero made his start with Edgar before going solo?

Answer: Rick Derringer

Babz Bitchin said...

mlankton, you're right but I didn't know the answer to your trivia question. Pretty good gringo! Edgar is and will forever be talented, huh? Thanks a bunch, stop by again, ok?