Dec 13, 2007

Tagged; 7 Things I've Learned About Recovery


I HAVE BEEN TAGGED! * Link to the person’s blog who tagged you. * Post these rules on your blog. * List seven random and/or weird facts you have learned in recovery. * Tag seven random [?] people at the end of your post and include links to their blogs. * Let each person know that they have been tagged by posting a comment on their blog Skillz @Da Spot is the one that tagged me.

Read This Carefully and in it's entirety...

1. Although we've come a long way, in our addiction education, I find so many people do not understand it, much less have Compassion or Empathy. They look down their noses at what they do not understand and until it touches their own, they refuse to look at it or try to understand it. How do I know this? I was one of those, that looked the other way till I grappled with it myself. I left my first husband because of his addiction. In my journey, I far surpassed his behaviors and addiction and sunk much lower. What a way to learn Empathy...the story of my life.

2. Addiction is extremely complex, an insidious disease which touches more of us than we care to admit. The misconception that the alcoholic/addict is someone who's in an alley with a brown paper bag or in a shooting gallery with a needle stuck in their arm, passed out, is the extreme of it. No, addiction comes in many shapes, forms and functionality. It is you, who must use a chemical to have a good time, get through your day, to keep up or to deal with life on life's terms.

3.On a lighter note, I've been to AA/NA meetings, all up and down the Eastern Seaboard. One of the most comical things I've ever encountered, were the Pennsylvania and Upstate New York, AA/NA'ers. They have Styrofoam cups with coffee but half of the guys will use their cup to spit chew, Skoal and such
(most are avid hunters, even the kids get the first day of Buck Season, off from school). Their jeans have permanent round marks in the back pocket, from the Skoal cans. True story!

4. Unfortunately, my other important observation, after countless recovery meetings, over 30+ years, is the bias and stigma, smack dab in the midst of the mind set between Alcoholics and Narcotic Abusers. The Alcoholic does not place himself in the same circle, literally and figuratively with the NA'er. No, he feels he is a step above, better than, possibly, not as bad as the NA'er. Yes, this is an indictment. A chemical is a chemical, it's just a matter of what has been allowed to be legal, the laws and the ability to readily purchase, brandish, possess and ingest one rather than the other. Yes, you AA'ers, I'm calling you on the carpet. You are no better and you need to stop looking down upon those who's drug of choice is not alcohol. You just might learn something about yourself, your addiction and make it easier for your NA brother to freely expound on his problems. It is not my intention to shame you, it is my intention to free up those meetings where the NA'er is made to feel, he can not discuss drugs, his addiction to something other than alcohol. It is a hush hush but I personally, have been informed by "Old Timers" that in an AA meeting it is frowned upon to discuss drugs. I was told it is to be kept on the discussion of alcohol and drugs are only to be discussed at a NA meeting

5. AA/NA does work but an addict must give in to the process. It is the only thing that has been proven to work. But I frigin hated it and them, when I was first, forced to go to meetings. I hated their cliches, sayings and I sure as hell didn't want to hold your hand. Even worse than that, I cringed every time you came at me, to hug me. I can remember thinking, if I heard, one more time, "One Day at a Time," I would go Postal and kill everybody involved, allowing God to sort 'em out. But it does work, "One Day at a Time," and for me, sometimes, it is one minute at a time. It works if you work it.

6. I do not believe it is very easy to get clean, in just 28 days, as most rehabs call for. Getting clean entails behavioral modification. You can use the tools they give you and if you pay attention, you may find those necessary tools for recovery. Coupled with the meetings and the knowledge that you are not alone, especially by going to meetings and seeing, first hand, others who've suffered and recovered, is paramount. You didn't find your way down the addiction road in 28 days. It takes a lifetime of study, understanding and real self awareness, honesty with oneself, to grasp the freedom that comes from abstinence. You must look in the mirror and honestly ask yourself, just what is the underlining factor, beyond predisposition, that keeps you slave, to your drug of choice.

7. I was clean for 9 years and fell. Never get too comfortable and think you've got it dicked. But because I fell, does not mean I can't stand back up, brush myself off and keep on trying. Anyone one that tells you different, well they need to...


Big Book Online

2 comments:

Old Knudsen said...

Yep you did it before you can do it again. One day at a time HA!

~Babz~ said...

Old Knudsen, I needed to hear this from you and I mean that from the bottom of my heart, which you own, by the way. Thanks Da!